Our Lehigh Acres, Florida, location provides comprehensive TBI/concussion rehabilitation for patients with brain injuries in Lee County. Our chiropractors and physiotherapists develop and manage therapies that allow patients to make a more significant recovery physically, cognitively, and emotionally.
The Lehigh Acres treatments and services provided by Specific Care Chiropractic include a wide range of therapies that could help you or a loved one after a concussion or more serious traumatic brain injury (TBI). Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you recover your quality of life: (239) 369-9109.
How Lehigh Acres TBI/Concussion Therapy Can Help Injured Patients
Any type of head or brain injury usually requires emergency assessment and care. However, once this initial period passes and the patient is stable, it is time to consider treatment and therapy to address any remaining symptoms. These injuries can vary from mild to severe, and so can the lasting effects.
Some of the ongoing concerns related to concussions can include:
- Memory loss
- Feeling dazed or “out of it”
- Difficulty with concentration and attention span
- Loss of coordination
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Difficulty walking due to balance issues
- Double vision or other visual concerns
- Slowed response time
- Headaches, drowsiness, and sensitivity to light and sound
- Nausea and vomiting
- Seizures or unexpected loss of consciousness
- Emotional, behavioral, and personality changes
Sometimes, these concerns can be severe. For example, what might be a minor loss of coordination for some could result in the loss of mobility, the ability to talk, difficulty swallowing, and a loss of independence for someone else. Recovery time can vary and you may suffer from long-term effects.
Physical therapy, also called physiotherapy, has been a key component of TBI recovery for decades. However, more and more neurologists prescribe these therapies as a part of a comprehensive rehabilitation plan for even minor concussions and TBIs. Studies—and our experience with our patients—show us that those who undergo therapies with our trained practitioners often recover faster and more fully from their head injuries.
In addition, we help them rebuild strength and flexibility, often ensuring they leave our care stronger than they were before their injury occurred.
How Our Lehigh Acres TBI/Concussion Rehabilitation Program Works
When new patients first meet our team, they do so during an intake examination. This process allows us to get to know the patient, assess their needs, make any necessary diagnoses, and formulate a personalized plan for them. Some things that could occur during the exam include:
- Physical examination
- Taking a health history
- Learning about their injuries, symptoms, and goals
- Requesting X-rays and medical imaging
- Setting a baseline for their abilities
Our doctors will prescribe a range of physiotherapy and/or chiropractic techniques to help alleviate pain, improve balance and mobility, recover lost abilities, rebuild muscles, and promote neuroplasticity.
Many of our patients make a full recovery with time. Sometimes, lasting deficits are unavoidable with serious brain injuries. When this occurs, we strive to help the patient recover as many abilities and as much independence as possible. We may be able to apply our experience, knowledge, and training to find creative ways to help patients reach their goals. This is at the heart of providing individualized care for every patient.
Who Should Receive Lehigh Acres TBI/Concussion Therapy From Our Team?
The Specific Care Chiropractic team provides chiropractic and physiotherapy care for a wide range of patients. From young athletes to weekend warriors to great-grandparents hoping to return to the golf course, we can offer treatment, therapy, and rehabilitation for almost any musculoskeletal injury. When it comes to brain injuries, we treat patients who have sports injuries, accident injuries, and who suffered an illness or stroke that caused their injury.
Some of the common ways our patients suffer concussions and TBIs include:
- Traffic accidents
- Sports injuries
- Boating or skiing incidents
- Swimming pool and diving injuries
- Slips or trips and falls
- Work injuries
What Therapies Are Included in Lehigh Acres TBI/Concussion Rehabilitation?
Each rehabilitation plan is designed to meet the patient’s unique needs, so no two plans are alike. They could include a wide range of therapies, treatments, strength-building exercises, and complementary treatments, depending on what is required.
Some of the most common therapies we prescribe for patients with concussions and TBIs in Lehigh Acres include:
- Speech Therapy: Many patients receive therapy to help them rebuild coordination and strength in their mouth, tongue, jaw, and face. This allows them to talk, swallow, and breathe more effectively.
- Physiotherapy for Coordination: Our doctors assess the patient’s unique needs and prescribe exercises that could help them rebuild coordination, including hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and balance.
- Physiotherapy for Movement: Many patients do not have regular, controlled movement in the weeks and months after a TBI. It can be difficult for the injured brain to send the proper signals to muscles and joints, allowing for controlled movement. By prescribing physical therapy for the affected body parts, we can reteach controlled movement through repetition, E-STIM, and other approaches.
- Balance Therapy: We assess the patient’s needs and provide oculomotor and vestibular therapy as necessary to address imbalance, vertigo, and other related concerns. This can play a key role in movement and coordination problems.
- Stretching and Strength Training: We prescribe stretching and strength training as a part of every rehabilitation plan. We believe stronger, more flexible patients recover more fully and are better able to adapt to any lasting impairments.
- Complementary Therapies for Pain and Inflammation: Our team utilizes a wide range of complementary therapies to address pain and inflammation in patients with healing injuries. These therapies could provide an alternative to NSAIDs or narcotic pain relievers. At the same time, many promote better blood flow and healing. They could include massage, laser therapy, Electrical Muscle Stimulation (E-STIM), and ultrasound therapy.
Contact Us Today About Your Lehigh Acres TBI/Concussion Therapy
At Specific Care Chiropractic, our team aims to help our patients recover as fully as possible after a serious injury or illness. This includes prescribing and managing a comprehensive rehabilitation program for concussions based on the patient’s unique needs.