Sciatica refers to the pain that stems from the sciatic nerve in your lower back and travels down your leg. According to Mayo Clinic, patients have described this discomfort as a “jolt or electric shock,” which can intensify when they cough or sneeze. This injury can occur on either or both sides of the body.
If you or a loved one suffers from sciatica in Lehigh Acres, the physicians at Specific Care Chiropractic will evaluate your condition and devise a sciatica treatment plan for you. We may employ corrective care, physiotherapy, or massage therapy, among other treatments, to help relieve your pain.
How does sciatica happen?
Sciatic pain occurs when a herniated disc compresses the sciatic nerve. You may be at risk for sciatica if one or more of the following factors applies to you:
- Obesity: Excess body weight can put extra pressure on your spine.
- Aging: Our bones weaken as we age, so we are at a higher risk of suffering from herniated discs.
- Diabetes: People with diabetes may be more susceptible to nerve damage.
- Strenuous work: If your job requires you to do a lot of heavy lifting, it could strain your spine.
- Long periods of sitting: When we sit for a long time, our spine compresses, especially if we don’t take breaks to get up and walk around.
Sciatica is also a common injury for those hurt in car accidents. The impact of the crash can lead to nerve damage and herniated and bulged discs. Those involved in other accidents, like slip and fall accidents, can sustain similar injuries.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Patients with sciatica can usually make a full recovery. However, if untreated, it can result in long-lasting, perhaps permanent, complications, so don’t “power through” the pain.
We encourage you to reach out to our Lehigh Acres location for sciatica treatment if you are experiencing:
- Tingling, numbness, or weakness in your affected leg
- Trouble with bladder and bowel function
- More aggravation in the affected leg when you cough or sneeze
Types of sciatica treatment we offer at Specific Care Chiropractic
When you meet with us, our physicians will conduct a full physical examination and ask you questions about your pain so that we can use a personalized approach to get you the relief you need. We can even use other resources and order imaging scans, like MRIs or X-rays, to help us get to the root of the problem.
Some treatment methods we use for sciatic patients include:
- Rehabilitative therapy: Your physician will teach you exercises to help strengthen the affected area.
- Stretching and strengthening: Certain stretches and strength training will help you gain flexibility in your back.
- Chiropractic adjustments and corrective care: This therapy uses spinal manipulation, which helps realign your spinal discs and take pressure off the nerves.
- Massage therapy: This treatment will relax your muscles, which will help relieve the muscle spasms that contribute to your sciatic pain.
- Electrical stimulation (E-STIM) therapy: These electric pulses will target the affected area and work to reduce muscle spasms and inflammation.
- Ultrasound therapy: The ultrasound waves work to reduce muscle pain by penetrating the muscle.
Studies have shown that these treatment methods have proven effective for patients. For example, The Spine Journal noted that chiropractic care, particularly spinal manipulation, helped relieve nerve pain and encouraged spinal growth and disc health.
We can help you build your personal injury case if you were hurt in Lehigh Acres
Many of our sciatica patients have been victims of a personal injury incident. We can cooperate with your legal team to help you hold the liable party accountable for their negligence. With that, you may be able to recover compensation if your sciatica pain occurred after a traffic accident, slip and fall, or another negligent incident.
Our physicians can work with your lawyer to help show the connection between the accident and your sciatica injury. We will provide information, such as:
- The extent of your sciatica
- How long you could receive treatment
- What your treatment entails (e.g., if you’re getting massage therapy, ordered to practice certain exercises at home, etc.)
- Medical bills for your sciatica treatment costs
- X-ray, MRI, or any other imaging scan results
- Other medical testimony we can provide
If you have yet to find a law firm to represent you in your injury case, we can refer you to one in our network.
Past patients share their experiences with our physicians
Our goal at Specific Care Chiropractic is to get you out of pain. Former patients have left reviews that reflect this mission.
Take a look:
“I love this place… I was in a lot of pain in my low back when I walked in. Within a very short period of time I was feeling fine and back to normal. I will definitely return if and when I start having pain. They’re great!” – Barbara M.
“… you always feel like you’re at the best place on the planet to get this type of care & medical service. From the diagnosis to any type of rehabilitation, there is follow through and follow up in achieving the best possible results for your personal condition!” – Larry S.
“I have used chiropractic care periodically as needed over the last thirty years. No one has done it better than Specific Care Chiropractor. They will educate you and will put together a plan to improve the Quality of life for you. I highly recommended Specific Care Chiropractor.” – Richard W.
Learn more about how our physicians in Lehigh Acres can help with your sciatica
Don’t continue to endure sciatica pain when Specific Care Chiropractic is here to help. You can rely on us to review your condition in its entirety and work to provide you with the care you need to get back to normal.
You can schedule an appointment with us when you dial (239) 369-9109. Our Lehigh Acres office is in Town Plaza off Lee Boulevard. Call today.