Do you suffer from persistent pain in your bones or joints? Are other treatments (like medication, heat or ice packs, or surgery) not working for you, or are you reluctant to try such treatments for any reason? Physiotherapy directed by a caring, licensed chiropractor may be just the solution you are looking for.
What Is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy includes various kinds of treatments, all of which are designed to strengthen your body with or without the aid of more traditional treatments. We offer a wide range of physiotherapy treatments, including:
- Exercise: Exercise is important, but how you exercise can determine whether you feel better or worse. Our team can teach you the right exercises for your condition.
- E-STIM: Electrical muscle stimulation can repair damaged muscles. It involves sending electrical impulses into the painful area.
- Massage therapy: When delivered in just the right way, massage not only reduces tension and pain in your body, but it can also make it easier for you to heal after an injury.
- Ultrasound therapy: Unlike E-STIM therapy, which uses electricity, ultrasound therapy uses sound waves which can reduce pain and scar tissue, enabling you to move more freely.
Once we determine that Fort Lauderdale physiotherapy is a good option for you, a chiropractor from our office can discuss which kinds of physiotherapy may be right for you, as well as the pros and cons of each option.
What Conditions Can Benefit From Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a flexible, diverse type of treatment, so we can apply it to many different conditions, including:
Even those with a healthy back and spine can begin to experience problems after a traumatic event like a:
- Car accident
- Sports injury
- Workplace accident
These events can cause herniated discs or nerve irritation, and even break the bones in your neck or back. The most serious injuries may cause paralysis or brain injuries and may require more than chiropractic care. We can work with your other doctors to provide you with the most complete and helpful treatment regimen possible.
Back pain can build up slowly over time. It may start as a minor, nagging ache, but as the condition progresses, the pain could become unbearable and you may have difficulty completing simple daily tasks. This is an especially big risk if you do not seek prompt treatment before the condition worsens.
Physiotherapy can help relieve pain due to persistent, chronic, or degenerative conditions like:
Even if your condition is incurable, physiotherapy can make it easier for you to live with it and give you a higher quality of life.
Physiotherapy can also help if you need to regain your strength after an illness or incapacitating event.
For example, surgery is a traumatic event that may leave scar tissue, take a long time to heal, and greatly diminish the strength and flexibility of the affected area. Physiotherapy is a good way to build your muscles back up gently and gradually and even reduce pain.
Physiotherapy can also help stroke patients who have lost mobility in part of their body.
How Do I Know if Physiotherapy Is a Good Choice For Me?
Our team will work with you and your other Fort Lauderdale doctors as we figure out whether you are a good candidate for physiotherapy and if so, which types of physiotherapy may be most effective.
Here are some of the factors we consider when evaluating a patient:
We ask patients many questions during their first appointment, including:
- How old are you?
- How long have you experienced back pain due to this condition?
- What does the pain feel like, and when do you feel it?
- Is this your first time seeking treatment for this condition? If not, what treatments have you tried?
- Do you have any other health conditions?
If a patient is too sick or weak to handle physiotherapy, we may recommend that they recuperate more before starting treatment, or that they try another type of treatment.
The Severity of the Condition
Once a disease reaches a certain point, physiotherapy may no longer be able to help. We may have to recommend more drastic treatment if your condition is very serious.
We are always honest with our patients about which treatments are most likely to help them reach maximum medical improvement (MMI), and we would never allow them to undergo a treatment that presents too many risks.
However, if multiple, safe treatment options provide similar chances for success, we leave it up to the patient to decide which option they want to explore.
How Does Specific Care Chiropractic Provide Physiotherapy?
At Specific Care Chiropractic, we know that no two patients are alike, even if they receive the same diagnosis. We do our best to create a custom treatment plan for each individual patient. Our team provides personalized care by:
- Explaining each option to you using common terminology that you can understand
- Giving you time to ask as many questions as you need to make an informed decision
- Ordering tests and reviewing your medical records to gain a clearer idea of what treatments may be best for you
- Working with you to come up with a safe, promising treatment plan based on your needs and condition
- Monitoring you throughout treatment to see how you are responding
- Adjusting your treatment as we go if necessary
Call Us Today to Start Fort Lauderdale Physiotherapy Services!
If you think physiotherapy is right for you, call Specific Care Chiropractic today at (239) 369-9109. We welcome patients of all ages from across Fort Lauderdale. We would be happy to assess your situation and work with you to determine the right course of treatment.