Seeking a diagnosis and treatment is the first thing to do if you are experiencing back pain after a car accident. You may have a serious injury, and delaying treatment could worsen your symptoms and result in lifelong harm.
Our team offers diagnostic services and treatment for many sources of back pain, including injuries suffered in car accidents. We will work with you to develop a treatment plan and deliver the relief you seek. Call Specific Care Chiropractic today at (239) 369-9109 so we can diagnose and treat your accident-related pain.
Reasons Why You May Suffer Back Pain After a Car Accident
One of the many questions we will answer after your car accident is: Why are you suffering back pain?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains that more than 2 million motor vehicle accident victims go to the emergency room each year, and back injuries are one reason for ER visits. Back injuries may result from:
- The jolt of another vehicle striking yours
- The force placed on your back and torso as your vehicle slides, jostles, or rolls
- The impact of an airbag
- Other injuries you suffer during the accident
The human body is not always sturdy enough to absorb the force of a car accident. Your accident may have caused new injuries or worsened preexisting conditions. Whatever the cause of your accident-related back pain, you must get a clear diagnosis and begin the healing process.
Back Injuries That May Be Causing Your Back Pain After a Car Accident
As a team that frequently helps motor vehicle accident victims with back pain, we know that accident-related injuries can include:
- Spinal cord injuries: If you suffer a herniated disk or other soft-tissue injury, fractured vertebrae, or other spinal cord injuries, you may suffer severe pain. The specific part of your spine that suffered the injury may determine where your back pain is emanating from.
- Whiplash: Mayo Clinic explains that whiplash usually causes neck pain, but the pain could extend to your back. Many injuries can cause a domino effect of pain, especially if you do not receive proper treatment. You should seek treatment for whiplash, whether it has caused pain in your neck, back, shoulders, or elsewhere.
- Nerve injuries: Back pain can be a symptom of pinched nerves, pressure from broken bones or bone fragments on a nerve, or other nerve-related abnormalities.
- Fractures: Broken bones can throw your body into disarray. A fracture may be painful and may affect other areas of your body, such as nerves, that result in substantial discomfort.
Not all back pain occurs immediately after a car accident. If you experience delayed lower back pain after a car accident, do not dismiss the pain as usual accident-related soreness. Any form of pain could be a symptom of serious injury and is therefore worth seeing a chiropractic professional about.
Possible Treatments for Back Pain Resulting From a Car Accident
Our team believes in treating back pain with proven methods. We administer treatment progressively, trying the least invasive treatment methods before considering other options.
Our doctors help car accident victims overcome their back injuries with:
Chiropractic Adjustments for Back Pain
Our chiropractors realign car accident victims’ vertebrae with swift, forceful thrusts known as chiropractic adjustments. These adjustments may release the pressure and relieve the pain that misaligned vertebrae can cause, and we offer several adjustments including:
- Toggle recoil
- Diversified adjustments
- Side posture
- Thompson Drop-Table Technique
- Sacral-occipital technique (SOT)
We will diagnose your injuries, explore your symptoms, and advise you about which technique(s) may be most effective in relieving your pain.
Physiotherapy is a stable of techniques aimed at relieving pain and promoting sustainable recovery. Our team’s physiotherapy techniques include:
- Stretching and strengthening exercise therapy
- Ultrasound therapy
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Corrective care
- Massage therapy
- Electrical muscle stimulation (E-STIM)
These are generally non-invasive therapies that have minimal risk but potentially immense power to relieve back pain. We use a varied physiotherapeutic approach to address the symptoms and sources of back discomfort.
Rehabilitation is a critical step on the road to recovery from back injuries. Once we have addressed the underlying cause of your back pain, we will guide you through the four stages of the rehab process, which include:
- The acute phase: This is the phase in which we treat your pain, perhaps using physiotherapy and chiropractic adjustments.
- The rehabilitation phase: During this phase, we have set you on the path to recovery but must adjust any ongoing injury symptoms that arise as you heal.
- The strengthening phase: You will grow stronger during this phase, transitioning from healing and recovering to strengthening. We may adjust our chiropractic techniques to those that set you up for long-term health and physiological stability.
- The maximum medical improvement (MMI) phase: Once you reach maximum medical improvement, you have reached the optimal recovery point. We have done our job, you’re feeling better, and you’re ready to resume your life.
Our team will lead you through each of these stages. Our goal is for every car accident victim we treat to reach the MMI stage.
We Assist With Personal injury Cases
Many car accident victims pursue personal injury claims seeking reimbursement for medical care and other damages. Your attorney may include chiropractic care as one of the damages in your car accident case, and we can assist them by:
- Providing medical images of your injuries
- Providing all records of chiropractic care
- Testifying about the details of your injuries and treatments
We take a personal investment in our clients. Whether we’re relieving your pain or helping your lawyer build a case, Specific Care Chiropractic will do everything possible to help you.
Call Specific Care Chiropractic to Discuss Treating Your Back Pain
Back pain is not something you want to live with, and the pain won’t relieve itself. Let the medical professionals at Specific Care Chiropractic serve you with a personalized treatment plan.
Call Specific Care Chiropractic today at (239) 369-9109 to discuss how we can address your back pain and help you move toward full strength.