Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine that, depending on its severity, can cause anything from no symptoms at all to minor inconveniences to debilitating pain. It is important that you receive proper treatment for your scoliosis symptoms to keep them from worsening at a faster rate.
If you live in Weston, scoliosis treatment we provide at one of our offices could help you live a better, less painful life for longer. To book your first appointment, call Specific Care Chiropractic at (239) 369-9109. Our team is eager to hear from you.
How to Treat Scoliosis
Specific Care Chiropractic offers the following noninvasive treatment options for scoliosis patients in Weston:
With this treatment, we ask you to lie down on a special table and allow us to move, or manipulate, your spine in ways that:
- Improve the alignment of vertebrae
- Reduce pain from misaligned bones
- Improve overall spinal health
Side effects of chiropractic adjustments are generally mild. Mayo Clinic lists pain and tiredness as the most common side effects, but they should go away within a few days.
Physiotherapy includes multiple treatment options, all aimed at improving your body’s strength and health. We offer:
- Ultrasound therapy: Soundwaves targeting a painful area can reduce symptoms and even promote the growth of new, healthier tissue.
- Rehabilitation: We can teach you stretches and exercises that will help you retain or even improve your flexibility, easing pain and slowing the condition’s advancement.
- Strength-building exercises: Regular exercise can both reduce your scoliosis symptoms and improve your overall well-being, enabling you to stay strong, healthy, and independent for longer.
- Electrical muscle stimulation: Like ultrasound therapy, E-STIM aims to improve your body’s ability to keep healthy. However, E-STIM uses mild, painless electric pulses to achieve this result.
- Massage therapy: This therapy has two main benefits. First, it relaxes you and makes you feel better. Second, it improves your flexibility and general health.
How to Choose Your Scoliosis Treatment
The above options are safe and effective for many patients, but they are not right for everyone. For example, as Mayo Clinic warns, those with numbness or tingling in an extremity or advanced osteoporosis should not undergo chiropractic adjustments.
The only way to guarantee that your treatment plan is safe is by consulting an expert. The doctors at Specific Care Chiropractic can create a treatment plan that enables you to live your best life without risking the health, strength, and flexibility you have now.
How We Treat Scoliosis Patients
Treatment involves more than just applying solutions to your health problems. You want a doctor you can:
- Trust with your health
- Ask questions without feeling embarrassed or uncomfortable
- Rely on to behave compassionately yet professionally
The team at Specific Care Chiropractic can meet these criteria by:
Making or Confirming a Diagnosis
Scoliosis may share symptoms with other conditions. Before we can decide on a treatment path, we will identify the source of your pain. We may do this by reviewing your medical history or ordering tests, but just as importantly, we will center your own experiences by asking questions, like:
- When did your symptoms start? Have you experienced them constantly since then?
- What do your symptoms feel like? Where do you experience these symptoms?
- How do these symptoms affect your personal life? Do they affect your career at all?
- What are your short- and long-term goals for treatment?
Designing Your Treatment Plan
Every one of our patients receives a treatment plan specifically designed to meet their needs and goals. To create this plan, we:
- Review the patient’s diagnosis and general health to decide which treatment options are right for them
- Go over the pros and cons of all potential treatments with the patient
- Answer the patient’s questions about the potential treatments
- Give the patient the information they need to decide for themselves which treatments are best for them
Our treatment plans are flexible: if we find that a treatment is not providing the desired results, we can adjust or try a completely different treatment.
Carrying Out the Treatment Plan
As soon as you know which treatment best fits you, we can make an appointment with you to begin that treatment. As there is no cure for scoliosis, you may end up continuing treatment for years or even the rest of your life. Those with curable conditions may only need to see us for days, weeks, or months.
The treatment process includes:
- Reducing painful symptoms and helping you feel better—this is the first thing we will do so you do not have to live in pain for longer than necessary
- Increasing your flexibility and range of motion
- Increasing your strength levels through exercise and other treatments
- Adjusting treatment as necessary to accommodate changes in your condition or unexpected side effects
This process sounds straightforward enough, but your progress may not look like a straight line. Treatment could stall, or you could regress and lose strength or flexibility. This is normal, so please do not become discouraged if you are not progressing as fast as you would like.
If there is ever a reason for worry, we will let you know right away, and we encourage patients to come to us with any concerns or changes in their condition.
Why Scoliosis Treatment Is Important
There are several varieties of scoliosis. Some are congenital, meaning the person is born with the condition, while others develop later in life. Either way, scoliosis can cause:
- Difficulty breathing
- Spine weakness or damage
- Nerve damage
- Back or shoulder pain
- Muscle spasms
Scoliosis often worsens with age, and unfortunately, there is no cure. However, you can mitigate or delay the progression of scoliosis through proper treatment. With help from our team, you could live a happy, healthy life for years to come.
We Treat Scoliosis Patients From Weston
Our four South Florida offices are proud to serve Weston and many other communities throughout the region. Whether you need treatment for scoliosis or another musculoskeletal condition, Specific Care Chiropractic is here to help. Call (239) 369-9109 to start your treatment journey and alleviate your pain.