Discs act as cushioning for the vertebrae and spinal column. These discs have a firm outer layer called the annulus. Herniation occurs when the soft inner layer of these discs gets pushed outside the annulus.
Herniation, also known as a slipped disc, a herniated disc, or a bulged disc, can cause back pain and numbness. If you or a loved one is suffering from a herniated disc in Boca Raton, our physiotherapists at Specific Care Chiropractic can help. We can build you a personalized physical therapy plan to help relieve herniated disc pain.
Call us today to begin your Boca Raton herniated disc treatment.
How Do I Know if I Have a Herniated Disc?
The spinal column houses a high density of nerves. A slipped or herniated disc can press into or damage these nerves, which can cause pain outside the area of injury. This condition occurs most frequently in the lumbar spine, also known as the lower spine, according to an analysis StatPearls published.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you may be suffering from a herniated disc:
- If your herniation is in your lower back, you could experience pain down your legs.
- If the herniation is in the upper back or neck; you also could experience pain in your arms.
- Herniation may lead to nerve damage, which can lead to numbness or muscle weakness.
Our team is intimately familiar with the symptoms of herniation. To diagnose your injury, we can conduct X-rays and nerve tests as part of the herniated disc treatment we offer in Boca Raton. These assessments will help us determine the location of your herniation and its degree of severity.
Common Causes of Disc Herniation
Direct trauma rarely causes herniated discs. Instead, they typically occur after years of spinal stress. This condition appears more frequently in men than women. The most common age range for herniated discs is between the ages of 25 and 30.
While herniated discs sometimes occur without warning, a few common risk factors are associated with this condition:
- Occupational stress: According to the Mayo Clinic, occupations that involve repetitive motions and heavy lifting can increase the chances of a herniated disc. Labor-intensive jobs like construction are particularly susceptible.
- Smoking: A PloS One study suggests that smoking can damage intervertebral discs.
- Lack of exercise: A sedentary lifestyle is another risk factor for disc herniation.
- Obesity: Being overweight can place undue stress on the vertebrae and spinal column.
Herniated Disc Treatment in Boca Raton
We can provide personalized herniated disc treatment for the residents of Boca Raton. Our team will assess your injury and develop a treatment plan based on these factors:
- The location of your injury
- The symptoms associated with the injury
- The severity of pain associated with the injury
During your first appointment, we can discuss your medical history and conduct tests to assess your herniation. At follow-up appointments, we’ll explain potential treatment options and build your physical therapy plan.
At Specific Care, we offer a suite of services to our clients. These services are designed to approach your injury from every possible angle. They include:
- Chiropractic treatment: Our team specializes in evidence-based chiropractic techniques. The physician assigned to your case can realign your spinal column to reduce herniation pain.
- Physical therapy: Massages, exercises, and stretching are useful tools that can strengthen your back and promote flexibility. To reduce the chance of a recurring injury and help speed your recovery, our physicians will build you a personalized physical therapy plan.
- Electrical muscle stimulation therapy (E-STIM): This method of treatment involves electrifying muscles around the injured area. It can help repair muscles and promote flexibility.
We understand that every herniated disc case is unique. Through our assessment procedure and later treatments, we’ll work to reduce the pain from your injury.
To better categorize our Boca Raton herniated disc treatment plan, we’ve broken our therapy into four phases:
- Acute phase: This phase occurs when your injuries are most severe. As part of your healing process, we’ll employ chiropractic techniques to better align your spine.
- Rehab phase: After the severity of your pain lessens, we’ll focus on strengthening and mobility with light exercises.
- Strengthening phase: This phase will continue to emphasize strengthening with more challenging exercises.
- Maximum medical improvement (MMI) phase: In the fourth phase, you should see a dramatic reduction in pain. We can advise you on how frequently you should perform physical therapy exercises to maintain a pain-free life.
Client Testimonials About Our Services
We are committed to providing quality chiropractic services to our customers. Their testimonials demonstrate this commitment to compassionate care:
“I saw Brittney Peck today and she was amazing. She took the time to listen to me, answer all my questions and explain what my plan of care will be. I am finally hopeful that my problem will be fixed. I’m so grateful.” – Lydia Q.
“I have used chiropractic care periodically as needed over the last thirty years. No one has done it better than Specific Care Chiropractor. They will educate you and will put together a plan to improve the Quality of life for you. I highly recommended Specific Care Chiropractor.” – Richard W.
What Is the Cost of Chiropractic Treatment in Boca Raton?
At Specific Care Chiropractic, we accept most forms of insurance. This includes insurance associated with legal cases, like auto accidents, slip and fall, or workers’ compensation. If your legal case involves an at-fault party who carries insurance, $10,000 or more will likely be covered. In some situations, you may need to pay a $1,000 deductible.
Before your visit, our team can verify if our services are included in your insurance benefits.
What if I Don’t Have Insurance?
Many of our clients don’t have medical insurance. In these cases, we offer a flexible payment plan that puts our clients first. Oftentimes, chiropractic treatment can be more cost-effective than invasive treatment, such as surgery or prescription medication.
We Can Work With Your Legal Team
Unsafe working conditions can cause herniated discs. If you’re involved in a workers’ compensation case, we can support your legal case in several ways:
- We can provide medical records that detail your treatment plan.
- We can provide medical invoices that illustrate the expenses associated with your injury.
- We act as expert witnesses and explain the factors that led to your injury.
This evidence could be used to help build your case and make your legal team’s job a little simpler. If you need help finding an attorney, we can refer you to a law office in our network.
Don’t Hesitate to Make a Boca Raton Herniated Disc Treatment Appointment Today
Our team at Specific Care Chiropractic can answer all your questions and address your concerns. During your first appointment, we explain your treatment options and help you understand the severity of your injury. Our services are designed to reduce pain and promote long-term flexibility.
Call (239) 369-9109 to schedule an appointment and get started. We’re eager to help residents of Boca Raton recover from back pain.